We previously held an information session, providing further detail on the cadetship, recruitment process and participating employers. A recording of the session is available using the link below.
What is a Safety Cadet?
As part of Victoria’s Big Build, we want to deliver civil construction projects that achieve world class safety performance.
We are looking for the right people to join our safety teams on Major Transport Infrastructure Authority and Major Road Projects Victoria projects.
Safety professionals play a critical role in delivering infrastructure projects; working to provide a healthy and safe workplace, prevent harm, and care for everyone affected by our projects. Good safety performance is directly linked to project success and contributes to projects being delivered on time; safety professional’s role in contributing to this success includes ensuring projects are delivered according to relevant safety legislation and specifications.
Safety professionals are integral members of project teams, working collaboratively with technical roles, engineers, planning teams, environmental advisors, supervisors and stakeholder engagement teams. A key part of all safety roles is the ability to listen, work in a team, build quality relationships, communicate effectively and enable others to understand and develop innovative solutions.
As a cadet, you will undertake a mix of practical on-the-job training, with formal learning; this will contribute to you developing both technical and professional skills.
You will be guided and trained by experience safety personnel who will support you in your day-to-day duties of risk-based safety on site works and managing relationships with construction partners on site.
At the successful conclusion of this 2-year cadetship, you will have undertaken a Diploma in Work Health & Safety, contextualised to civil construction, gaining valuable experience, and will be well placed to begin your meaningful career in civil construction.
About Major Transport Infrastructure Authority and the Department of Transport
The Major Transport Infrastructure Authority (MTIA) oversees the construction of Victoria’s major road and rail civil construction projects and is comprised of the following project teams:
- Major Road Projects Victoria (MRPV) – https://bigbuild.vic.gov.au/projects/major-road-projects-victoria/all-mrpv-projects
- Level Crossing Removal Project (LXRP) – https://bigbuild.vic.gov.au/projects/level-crossing-removal-project
- North East Link Project (NELP) – https://bigbuild.vic.gov.au/projects/north-east-link-program
- West Gate Tunnel Project (WGTP) – https://bigbuild.vic.gov.au/projects/west-gate-tunnel-project
- Rail Projects Victoria – https://bigbuild.vic.gov.au/about/mtia/rail-projects-victoria
The MTIA works with a number of leading Australian construction companies to deliver Victoria’s Big Build.
As part of this, MRPV’s Industry Capability and Development Program is delivering the Victorian Civil Construction Safety Cadetship to support the development of a skilled and capable workforce.
To find out more about Victoria’s major road and rail civil construction projects visit: www.bigbuild.vic.gov.au
What’s on offer?
We are seeking passionate individuals for a two-year paid cadetship with placements in Victorian government civil construction projects, commencing early 2024. Projects may be based in both metro and regional Victoria.
Currently HOBAN is recruiting for:
- McConnell Dowell
- DT Infrastructure
- CPB Contractors
- Decmil Southern
- Spark – North East Link (internals only)
- Whelans Group Investments (internals only)
The Cadetship Components:
- Paid employment: As a cadet you will be employed for two years with one of the contractors working on MRPV’s projects. Salaries will commence from approximately $75,000 in your first year and build to up to approximately $85,000 plus superannuation depending on your skills and experience. At the end of the cadetship, you will be considered for, and well placed to apply for, ongoing Safety roles working with leading local and national Civil Construction companies.
- Intensive industry induction program: You will be part of an intensive industry induction program, which will provide you with the basic information and skills you’ll need to get started in a civil construction career. This includes gaining your Construction Industry White Card, an essential requirement for working on any civil construction site and an opportunity to venture out on site and meet some of your new colleagues and get close to the action.
- Accredited Training – Certificate IV and Diploma in Work Health and Safety: Cadets will undertake nationally accredited Certificate IV and Diploma in Work Health and Safety over 2 years. These qualifications will provide cadets with a broad range of civil construction safety skills to pursue a career in civil construction safety management and will be specifically tailored to your new Safety role. Cadets will also build the professional skills needed to work in Safety management roles with emphasis on:
- Civil Construction Operational Safety Risk Management
- Safety & Risk Leadership
- Subcontractor Management
- Managing Incident Investigations
- Effective Communication & Consultation
- Technical capability training: In addition to the accredited training, cadets will participate in specialist technical training necessary for their role working on MTIA projects such as white card, work at heights and high-risk work licenses.
- Project placements: Much of the cadetship will be spent completing your training on a range of projects, working with our contractors. These project placements will provide you with experience in real-world construction environments and help build knowledge and exposure to the civil construction safety industry, including valuable relationships between cadets, government/client-side staff and contractors. This will also enable you to undertake the required learning and assessments to complete the Certificate IV and Diploma in Work Health and Safety.
- Safety Mentors and professional skills development: Cadets will have access to Mentors throughout the two-year program. These Mentors are experienced Safety Professionals who will provide you with valuable advice and practical support to guide you on your career journey.
What are MTIA looking for in a Cadet?
- Drive and Motivation: A high level of interest in commencing a career in the civil construction industry and creating lasting benefits to the community.
- Working Collaboratively: Cooperating and working well with others in pursuit of team goals; sharing information and acknowledging others’ efforts; stepping in to help others where required.
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving: Seeking resolution of problems through policy or process guidelines; seeking guidance by providing information and relevant ideas towards the resolution of problems.
- Interpersonal skills: You are polite, professional and considerate in dealing with others; you are aware of people’s moods and temperament; you are able to express your own views in a constructive and diplomatic way; and you are able to reflect on how your own emotions impact on others.
- Communicate with Impact: You use various positive communication methods to convey information, ideas, and insights in ways that help others understand the key information; and you possess good written communication skills.
- Digital and Technological Literacy: You can perform a range of tasks through digital software and tools e.g. mobile devices, computers, Microsoft suite of applications including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Teams/Skype.
- Self-discipline: You approach tasks and your own development in a logical, organised, professional manner to ensure delivery of consistently high-quality work.
I am interested, how do I apply?
Are you eligible? Check that you meet the eligibility criteria, and your ability to commence in January 2024.
Online Applications only. Complete your application and submit, together with your resume, between Monday 18th September and 11:30PM Sunday 15th October 2023.
More Information: Contact the HOBAN Recruitment team on 1300 550 333 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
MTIA manage the cadetship and the recruitment process is administered by HOBAN Recruitment.